Amsted Rail, through its AXIS operation, manufactures railroad axles to the most exacting standards in the world. Operating the industry’s most technologically advanced axle manufacturing facility, AXIS produces over 50 different types of railroad axles, and has the capability to manufacture virtually any type of railroad axle used in the world today.
- Forming: Fully automated, in-line radial forming machines perform at a rate of 340 forming steps per minute while maintaining the tightest tolerances in the industry.
- Heat Treating: Furnaces capable of heating steel to over 2000 degrees Fahrenheit can heat treat parts weighing up to 8,000 pounds and 18 feet in length.
- Machining: Multiple lathes combined with an end facing/centering/drilling/tapping machine produces an axle from this fully automated system at a rate of one axle in less than three minutes, produced within a tolerance of +/- .0005 inches (+/- .0127 mm.)
- Highly automated manufacturing system provides a higher degree of precision, assuring that axles conform to your most rigorous requirements.
- All axles are produced in accordance to the American Association of Railroads (AAR) specifications.
- In-line automated inspection equipment and certified level II and III ultra-sonic magnetic particle inspectors assure consistent, superior quality.
- Global logistics capability assures axles will arrive on time, every time anywhere in the world
- As-forged and heat treated
- Rough machined; tolerances +.015, - .000.
- Semi-finished; approximately .010” stock for grinding
- Finished; +/- .0005”